Witkoff announces launch of second phase of Trump's Gaza ceasefire plan – Firstpost

Witkoff announces launch of second phase of Trump’s Gaza ceasefire plan – Firstpost

  • Post category:World News
Share this Post


US President Donald Trump’s special envoy to the Middle East, Steve Witkoff, announced on Wednesday the launch of the second phase of a US-brokered plan to end the Israel-Hamas war in the Gaza Strip

US President Donald Trump’s special envoy to the Middle East, Steve Witkoff, announced on Wednesday the launch of the second phase of a US-brokered plan to end the Israel-Hamas war in the Gaza Strip. Witkoff confirmed the news in a post on social media. He said that Trump’s 20-point Gaza plan is “moving from ceasefire to demilitarisation, technocratic governance, and reconstruction”.

“The second phase will establish a transitional administration to govern over the bombarded Palestinian territory and see the full demilitarisation and reconstruction of Gaza”, Witkoff said. “The US expects Hamas to comply fully with its obligations, including the immediate return of the final deceased hostage. Failure to do so will bring serious consequences,” he furthered.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

However, according to Al Jazeera, Israel has violated the US-brokered ceasefire more than 1,190 times since it came into effect in October. The Gaza authorities noted that around 400 Palestinians lost their lives since the ceasefire was announced. Neither officials from Israel nor Hamas commented on Witkoff’s announcement as of now.

Why it matters

The 20-point Gaza peace plan was initially proposed by the United States in September last year. It also includes the establishment of a “Board of Peace” chaired by Trump and the deployment of an “international stabilisation force” to oversee security in Gaza. Last week, Netanyahu said former United Nations Middle East envoy Nikolay Mladenov would lead the board, which will be tasked with overseeing the Palestinian technocratic government governing Gaza.

Meanwhile, mediators from Qatar, Turkey and Egypt have welcomed the formation of the Palestinian technocratic body, which they said would be headed by Ali Abdel Hamid Shaath. “The mediators express their hope that the formation of the committee will pave the way for the implementation of the second phase of the ceasefire agreement in the Gaza Strip,” they said in a joint statement on Wednesday.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

They also emphasised that all parties must “fully commit to implementing the agreement to achieve a sustainable peace and create the appropriate conditions for the reconstruction” of Gaza. Meanwhile, the UN and leading humanitarian groups working in Gaza continue to call on Israel to allow unimpeded deliveries of aid into the territory, including food, shelter supplies, and equipment needed to clear rubble and rebuild homes. Hence, it will be interesting to see how the second phase will pan out.

End of Article





Source link

Share this Post

Leave a Reply