DR Congo has added the rebel-held Rubaya coltan mine to a strategic shortlist shared with the United States, opening the door to potential US investment in one of the world’s largest tantalum deposits.
The Democratic Republic of Congo has placed the rebel-controlled Rubaya coltan mine on a shortlist of strategic assets proposed to the United States under a bilateral minerals cooperation framework, according to a government document reviewed by Reuters.
Rubaya, considered one of the world’s most significant sources of tantalum, was included in the list presented during a February 5 meeting in Washington between Congolese and US officials aimed at advancing a strategic minerals partnership agreed in December.
A senior Congolese government official and a US diplomat confirmed the mine’s inclusion, speaking anonymously because of the sensitivity surrounding the discussions, according to Reuters.
By adding Rubaya to the proposal despite the site currently being under the control of Rwandan-backed AFC/M23 rebels, Kinshasa is seeking to attract American investment into eastern Congo, a region rich in minerals but plagued by conflict. The move could provide Washington with access to tantalum, a heat-resistant metal derived from coltan ore and widely used in semiconductors, aerospace components, mobile devices, computers and gas turbines.
According to the document, Congo estimates that between $50 million and $150 million would be needed to restart and expand operations at Rubaya. Officials believe the investment could be recouped quickly due to strong and rising global demand for tantalum.
The United States is pursuing access to critical raw materials as it works to reduce dependence on China’s dominance in African mining and to strengthen its strategic stockpile of essential metals.
The Congolese government document states that Rubaya has the potential to provide a “fully traceable, conflict-free” supply of tantalum that would meet U.S. procurement standards.
Major share of global coltan supply
Located in North Kivu province, Rubaya contains several thousand metric tons of coltan with tantalum concentrations estimated between 20% and 40%. The mine is responsible for approximately 15% of global coltan production. Extraction is carried out manually by local miners, many of whom earn only a few dollars per day.
The site and surrounding areas remain under the control of AFC/M23 rebels. A United Nations report last year said their presence has contributed to organized smuggling operations into neighboring Rwanda. According to U.N. estimates, the group collects at least $800,000 each month in taxes tied to coltan production and trade from Rubaya. Rwanda has denied backing the rebels.
M23 and its political wing, the Congo River Alliance (AFC), are subject to U.S. sanctions and are not part of a fragile peace agreement reached in December between Congo and Rwanda with mediation by U.S. President Donald Trump. Despite the deal, fighting has continued.
The rebel alliance has criticised the proposed minerals partnership with Washington, calling it “deeply flawed” and arguing that Kinshasa should refrain from pursuing new resource agreements while hostilities persist.
A senior figure within the AFC/M23 told Reuters that the group’s objective “is not the mines but the liberation of our people.” Speaking on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter, the official added that the mining title is reportedly held by a private entity rather than the Congolese state.
He suggested that any future legal dispute could demonstrate that President Felix Tshisekedi lacks full control over all mining sites in the country, but declined to provide further details regarding ownership.
The Congolese government did not respond immediately to requests for comment.
Preferential access to projects
The U.S. State Department told Reuters on Tuesday that Congo formally presented the initial strategic asset reserve (SAR) list at the meeting on February 5, but the department did not disclose the assets.
Under the framework agreement, U.S. companies will receive preferential access to the assets, which Washington says is designed to foster transparent investment, create jobs and help build long‑term stability in the DRC.
The State Department added that eligible private‑sector firms were now invited to request the SAR list and signal interest in qualifying projects.
Lithium, Copper-Cobalt, Gold assets offered
Other projects on Congo’s priority list for U.S. investors include the giant Manono lithium deposit in Tanganyika, the Chemaf copper‑cobalt complex in Haut‑Katanga and Lualaba, the STL Germanium–Gallium expansion in Lubumbashi, and a trio of proposed cobalt refineries.
The list also features state miner Gecamines‑linked hydro projects, Congo’s part of the Lobito rail corridor – a project to help transport critical minerals from central Africa to the West – and major gold prospects such as Kibali South and Moku Beverendi, the document shows.
Congo and several U.S. or allied companies have already signed initial supply agreements under the minerals security pact, part of Washington’s broader effort to loosen China’s long‑established dominance over Congolese critical minerals.
The government document does not name US companies approached or confirm whether formal negotiations have begun.
With inputs from agencies
End of Article