Multiple sources say Iran’s crackdown on protests may have killed at least 12,000 people, with some estimates putting the toll as high as 20,000, amid an ongoing internet shutdown
At least 12,000 people have been killed in
Iran in what is being described as the largest killing in the country’s contemporary history, much of it carried out on January 8–9 during an ongoing internet shutdown, senior government sources told Iran International.
Information emerging from Iran on Tuesday suggests that a crackdown to end more than two weeks of widespread
anti-government protests has likely been far deadlier than previously reported by activists outside the country. With some phone lines reopening for outgoing calls, two sources, including one inside Iran, told CBS News that at least 12,000 people had been
killed, with the figure possibly as high as 20,000.
UK foreign secretary voices concern over rising numbers
Britain’s Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper told Parliament on Tuesday that the UK government believed there “may have been 2,000 people killed, there have been more. My fear is that the number may prove to be significantly higher.”
Establishing the full scale of the deaths has proved extremely difficult after Iran’s hardline rulers cut off internet access and phone services nationwide for five days. While a complete internet shutdown remained in place for a fifth day, some Iranians were able to make calls out of the country on Tuesday, though incoming calls into Iran were still not possible.
🇮🇷 The video was filmed near a police building in Tehran. People are being lined up… 262 shots are heard in 6 minutes…
And the people’s desperate shouting: “Death to Khamenei, death to the dictator, shame on you” pic.twitter.com/EXgfj4jOoe
— Visioner (@visionergeo) January 13, 2026
Activists cite figures from medical sources
A source inside Iran told CBS News that activist groups compiling death tolls from medical officials across the country believed at least 12,000 people had been killed, with the number possibly reaching 20,000.
The same source said security forces were visiting private hospitals across Tehran and threatening staff to hand over the names and addresses of people being treated for protest-related injuries.
Conflicting estimates and official silence
Iran International television network reported that its information suggested about 12,000 deaths. A Washington-based source with contacts in Iran told CBS News that a credible source had placed the toll between 10,000 and 12,000.
Iranian officials have not issued regular official estimates. Reuters quoted an unnamed Iranian official as saying about 2,000 people had been killed since protests began on December 28, blaming the violence on foreign-influenced “terrorists” and alleging agitators had been paid to stir unrest.
CBS News verified a video posted online on Tuesday showing the bodies of at least 366 and likely more than 400 people piled up at a mortuary in a Tehran suburb. The footage appears to show forensic personnel documenting severe injuries and crowds attempting to identify the dead. Visible injuries include gunshot wounds, “birdshot” shotgun wounds, gashes and other serious trauma.
The 16-minute video was first shared by an Iranian activist and blogger identifying himself only as Vahid Online. He said it was sent by a source who travelled about 600 miles to upload it during the communications blackout.
The graphic footage shows bodies bearing apparent bullet and shotgun pellet injuries, along with piles of blood-stained clothing inside the mortuary compound.
End of Article